Chromatics Interview (Part 2 of 2)
(6) I'm curious to know how you make these songs. Do you write stuff out, just figure things out spontaneously ... what sort of method's behind it all? Also, how much of your stuff is electronic and how much is live? Your bass lines continually draw me in; the skill with which you create them makes me assume that there's a lot of thought that goes into your songs.
WE WRITE SONGS A LOT OF DIFFERENT WAYS
SOMETIMES WHEN WE’RE DRIVING OR WALKING A WHOLE SONG CAN BE PLOTTED OUT IN OUR HEADS.
OTHER TIMES WE’LL WORK ON PARTS FOR YEARS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW THEY CAN BE MADE TO FIT INTO A SONG.
“IN THE CITY” CAME ABOUT THIS WAY, WE HAD BEEN TRYING AND TRYING TO MAKE THAT SONG WORK FOREVER BUT WHEN IT DID FINALLY COME TOGETHER THE PROCESS WAS A VERY NATURAL ONE.
WE’VE REACHED A POINT IN THE BAND NOW WHERE IF WE’RE HITTING A WALL WITH A SONG OR IDEA WE’LL JUST LEAVE IT ALONE AND GIVE IT SOME TIME INSTEAD OF DRAINING OURSELVES TRYING TO FORCE A CONCEPT UPON IT.
WE’LL MOVE ONTO SOMETHING ELSE, KEEP WORKING ON MUSIC AND EVENTUALLY THE SONGS WORK THEMSELVES OUT.
THE ONLY METHODS WE HAVE FOR SONGWRITING IS KNOWING WHEN TO EXPLORE AN IDEA AND ACCEPTING WHEN IT IS TIME TO LET GO OF ONE.
(7) I've yet to see you live, so I'd like to hear a little bit about what sort of show you put on. Are there like, any goals or aims you've got when you're about to start performing?
THE BAND HAS CHANGED SO MUCH OVER THE YEARS.
ABOUT TEN DIFFERENT PEOPLE HAVE TOURED PLAYING IN CHROMATICS SINCE 2002.
WE’VE NEVER TOURED THE UNITED STATES WITH THE SAME LINEUP.
I CAN’T EVEN KEEP TRACK ANYMORE!
IN THE BEGINNING THE SHOWS WERE PUNKIER AND MORE ABRASIVE SOUNDING, NOW WHO KNOWS?
ENTERTAINMENT IS THE PRIORITY OF THIS LINEUP.
OUR MUSIC IS AN ESCAPE FOR OURSELVES AND HOPEFULLY FOR THE AUDIENCE.
(8) You've got me really craving for more Chromatics stuff, so when's the next tour or release coming out? And do you have any special plans for the future ... collaborations, exotic releases ... ?
WE JUST COMPLETED ALL THE SONGS FOR OUR NEW 12” RECORD, “IN THE CITY” WHICH WILL BE COMING OUT LATER THIS SPRING ON THE NEW TROUBLEMAN DANCE LABEL CALLED ITALIANS DO IT BETTER.
THERE ARE SOME SPECIAL SURPRISES ON IT.
IT’S THE FIRST CHROMATICS RECORD WHERE WE DO A SPRINGSTEEN SONG.
AND IT’S NOT GOING TO BE THE LAST TIME WE COVER A SONG BY THE BOSS EITHER.....
OUR ALBUM “SHINING VIOLENCE” WILL BE OUT IN THE FALL 2007 ALSO ON ITALIANS....
WE’VE BEEN WORKING ON “SHINING VIOLENCE” SINCE 2004, TRIED OUT A LOT OF IDEAS, AND NOW IT’S REALLY COMING TOGETHER.
RUTH JOINED THE BAND IN LATE 2006.
SHE’S BEEN DOING THE VOCALS FOR THE ALBUM AND THEY SOUND GREAT!
THE ENTHUSIASM WITHIN THE GROUP FOR ANY CHROMATICS RECORD HAS NEVER BEEN HIGHER.
(9) If I'm remembering correctly, you're from Seattle. What sort of music scene's happening up there? Anything exciting and worth mentioning? It's always interesting to me how cities all across the country have unique characters to them, unique styles and ambiances ... how does that apply -- if at all -- to Seattle?
CHROMATICS RELOCATED TO PORTLAND FROM SEATTLE ABOUT A YEAR AGO.
PORTLAND IS A GREAT PLACE.
IT HAS THE FEEL OF A REALLY OLD CITY, BUT WITH AN ABUNDANCE OF NEW LIFE AND ENERGY.
IN PORTLAND THERE ARE MANY BANDS AND CREATIVE PEOPLE WORKING HARD AT THEIR CRAFT, BECAUSE OF THIS PORTLAND IS GOING TO BURST BACK UP ON THE MAP AGAIN REAL SOON.
THEN THE RENTS WILL RISE AND WE’LL ALL HAVE TO MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE.
(0) Who's the woman on the "Nite" single? Actually, visually, what sort of style do you shoot for with cover art? It's a big part of records, and it's interesting to hear how different bands approach it in different ways. Anything special you're shooting for there?
THE WOMAN ON THE COVER OF THE "NITE" SINGLE IS MY FRIEND LENA OKAZAKI WHO IS A GREAT VISUAL ARTIST.
OUR FRIEND JODY FAUSETT TOOK THE PHOTOGRAPH.
HE IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE PHOTOGRAPHERS (CHECK OUT HIS STUFF AT WWW.GMPHOTOREP.COM).
OUR VISUAL STYLE IS INFLUENCED BY MANY THINGS, TO NAME A FEW............. THE PHOTOGRAPHERS GUY BOURDIN + HELMUT NEWTON, SATURATED VHS HORROR MOVIE SLEEVES FROM THE 70’S AND 80’S, CRYSTALS, CASSETTE TAPE ARTWORK, UNDERWATER RUINS, CARS, TECHNOLOGY, MIRRORS, LIGHTING....THERE ARE SO MANY...